Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Anansi & Jeffty (Locus #3)

I posted my review of Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys to SFFWorld, go check it out. This was the book I was raving about a few posts ago, so I think you were correct, Joe.

Jeffty is Five by Harlan Ellison

Harlan Ellison's reputation definitely precedes him as the intro to this story notes an online Locus poll was named him the greatest short story writer of all time. The intro also names Jeffty is Five is his best story. I am almost embarrassed to say I have very limited reading experience with Mr. Ellison. However, I was completely wrapped up in this one, an enthralling magical story. I figured out how it might end up, but this did not detract from the power of the story, if anything, the story was more powerful and dark with an inkling of where it may end up. The prose is wonderful, the story is a heart wrenching tale of the power and innocence of youthful endeavors, and although written nearly 30 years ago, is just as relevant and powerful today. Lately, I’ve been doing a decent portion of my reading at the gym while I’m either on the elliptical machine or the stationary bike. When I read this story yesterday, I wound up extending my normal bike ride because I simply had to finish the story. Suffice it to say, a strong collection has just improved.

No comments: