Thursday, September 04, 2008

Mistborn and Green Thoughts

This month’s selection in the SFFWorld Fantasy Book Club is Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn: The Final Empire. I read and reviewed it, as well as the second volume, Mistborn: Well of Ascension last year. I really enjoyed both of those novels and I’m finding the final volume, The Hero of Ages, just as good and maybe better. Certain writers work in certain ways for people and when I started The Hero of Ages, there was that spark of excitement for me.

The above is one shot of some concept art more from the potential Green Lantern movie and here is some more all by Brian Murray. Since I’ve been reading comics (oh, about 20 years now), Green Lantern has been one of my favorite characters and concepts. As I type this, I’m wearing a sterling silver ring emblazoned with the GL logo and prior to being married, the awesome Mrs. Blog o’ Stuff gifted me with this cool tryptich of statues:

Rumors of a GL film have been floating for decades and with the recent push by DC Comics and Warner Brothers for more of the comics properties to get the Hollywood treatment, GL has been re-invigorated with some real pre-production effort. I’ve always thought the concept would work great on the big screen since it melds both the superhero and some really cool Science Fiction elements (like the classic Lensmen stories from Doc Smith) that non-comics reading people could get behind. Although I have hopes the eventual film will be good because some comics writers are working on it, let us not forget that James Robinson (whose virtues I’ve extolled before and may at a later date since I finished the first Starman Omnibus recently) scripted this thing. The movie is supposedly using elements of the Emerald Dawn storyline which might not be the best way to go, but is somewhat understandable. If anything, why not mirror what Goeff Johns is doing now and how he's handling both the character (Hal Jordan) and the mythos of Green Lantern in general. Shit, Johns has Hollywood experience, why not just get him to have a hands on role in the film? At this point everything is conjecture and the expected bitching and moaning of a comics fan.

Lastly, read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman for free.

No comments: